14 Nov 2011

Little rain clouds




Ha look at these! To quote the website they are 'lamps in the shape of a cloud that makes rain'. Japanese designer Tadao Shimizu's has created a series for Abovo. Made from washi paper and thin metal rods, I'm sure they're sturdier than they look, but I can't help but think I would break it in about 5 minutes. I can see it now delicately balancing in the corner of my miniature Tokyo apartment looking lovely until I take a wrong footed step from my bed and squash it flat. Shame as think it would have looked nice.

I've read somewhere that cloud motifs are meant to convey happiness and hope (vague fact alert) but I do feel there is something a little bit sad about these adorable lamps. The cloud motif is pretty common in Japan and during a visit to Kyoto recently I found this contemporary design on one of the shopping centres which was woven throughout the building using various colours. The bright turquoise was a striking contrast to the industrial coppers and bare brick work inside. Kyoto was surprising for having these contemporary gems hidden amongst a gazillion temples and shrines.